Saturday, August 16, 2008

Tales of a childhood Volcanologist

Anyone that has known Skye for any length of time knows that he wants to be a volcanologist when he grows up. Yes, I know that he is only 6 1/2 but since he was 3 years old he has been obsessed with volcanoes, and it doesn't seem to be letting up. While his friends change daily/monthly what they'd like to be one day, Skye is unwavering and doesn't hesitate to announce that he'll be a volcanologist. Of course then he has to explain to most people what a volcanologist is as they stare at him blankly wondering if they really heard him right. When we moved into this house and he got to choose how he wanted his room decorated, he insisted on a volcano room. So his room is now painted with two giant volcanoes erupting on the walls, and several posters/pictures of volcanoes and lava. Any TV show that mentions volcanoes has to be watched diligently by the whole family and then discussed in order to satisfy Skye. He's always asking which college he should go to to become the best volcanologist ever. He's repeatedly announced to us that he's moving to Hawaii after college with his one son to be a volcanologist there, and that if we want to see our grandson we'll have to fly to Hawaii to see them. I could go on and on with how this obsession has played out, but I did want to share a anecdote that Skye came home from school with yesterday on how he is now influencing his friends. . .
Skye always reports his playground activities when he gets home, usually it's Star Wars or Indiana Jones, or some such thing that he played with the other boys. Yesterday he walked in and announced that he played Pompeii with his friends. I gave him a blank look and asked for more details--how does one play Pompeii, and how did he convince his friends to partake in this? He went on to explain that they built Mt Vesuvius in the sandbox, then created the town of Pompeii at it's base. When the construction was finished the "smoke started to come out of the mountain. Most the people stayed and watched the smoke come closer, but two people went running off to escape. They had to run very fast and were so very scared but managed to escape the smoke. The people who stayed behind were covered by the smoke and choked to death," related Skye. I never did get a clear picture of if his friends were playing the part of the people in Pompeii or if they had stick figures or some such thing to represent the people. But I can just picture him relating this all to his friends in encouraging them that this would be a fun game to play. I had to laugh. I don't know if he'll actually decide to be a volcanologist when he gets older, but I think he'll always have something for volcanoes even if he doesn't.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW! He is definitely a determined young man. It will be fun to see if he actually becomes a Volcanologist one day! Zach told me he wants to be Barney when he grows up, I'm so proud. :)

Cliffo said...

Hi, Ruth! We just got home again yesterday and I checked in on your blogs this morning. They're so good! It's really great that you're doing this and writing out your happenings, thoughts and perspectives! They're such great glimpses into your life, kids, family, etc.... They come across very reflective, honest and interesting! Keep it up!

...Jay